Choosing the Type
This article is released for AWS solution, ISPConfig3 Panel on AWS (Linux Server). Elyxia Global Limited provides ISPConfig 3 in Amazon Machine Images (AMIs) for AWS EC2 instances. These are all general purpose instances that are well-suited for a variety of hosting purposes. When choosing an instance for use with ISPConfig 3, pay close attention to the amount of RAM it comes with. The more web sites you intend to host, the more traffic the hosted web sites generate, the more RAM you will need.
- If you are considering trying out ISPConfig 3, you can choose T2.micro. It provides sufficient resources for testing purposes and comes as a part of the AWS Free Tier.
- If you run few (1–10) web sites with small load, T2.micro should also be suitable.
- A server used for shared hosting used to host 200-300 low traffic websites should use a T2.medium or an M3.medium instance.
- When choosing an instance for high traffic websites, analyze the website’s traffic carefully. Servers with frequently accessed web sites may require up to 1GB RAM per website.
- If you are not sure what instance to choose, we recommend using the M3.medium instance. It suits most users’ needs and is used for hosting ISPConfig 3 most frequently.
Important Note: As per requested by AWS if you are choosing instance type u-12tb1.metal, u-18tb1.metal, u-24tb1.metal, u-6tb1.metal, u-9tb1.metal, please visit https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/now-available-amazon-ec2-high-memory-instances-with-6-9-and-12-tb-of-memory-perfect-for-sap-hana/
Configuring ISPConfig 3
When configuring an instance, you will be asked to configure the following options:
- Instance type: choose the server configuration that best suits your needs. For the details on different types of instances, see Instance Types. However, we recommend instances with minimum 1 virtual CPUs and 1 GB memory in order to run ISPConfig 3 smoothly on Linux CentOS 7.
- Storage space: the default allocated storage size is 20 GB for Linux instances (ISPConfig 3 is for Linux only). You can specify the necessary storage size when launching a new instance or change it after deployment.
- Security groups: a security group is created based on our recommended specifications. You can configure your own security group based on your requirements.
Type: SSH, Protocol: TCP, Port Range: 22, Destination: 0.0.0.0/0
Type: HTTP, Protocol: TCP, Port Range: 80, Destination: 0.0.0.0/0
Type: HTTPS, Protocol: TCP, Port Range: 443, Destination: 0.0.0.0/0
Type: POP, Protocol: TCP, Port Range: 110, Destination: 0.0.0.0/0
Type: SMTP, Protocol: TCP, Port Range: 25, Destination: 0.0.0.0/0
Type: IMAP, Protocol:TCP, Port Range: 143, Destination: 0.0.0.0/0
Type: DNS (TCP), Protocol: TCP, Port Range: 53, Destination: 0.0.0.0/0
Type: MYSQL/Aurora, Protocol: TCP, Port Range: 3306, Destination: 0.0.0.0/0 (Optional)
Type: Custom TCP Rule, Protocol: TCP, Port Range: 21, Destination: 0.0.0.0/0 (Optional)
Type: All traffic, Protocol: All, Port Range: All, Destination: 0.0.0.0/0
- Key pairs: choose or create a key pair to be used for authentication when accessing the instance. For information and instructions on creating key pairs, see Amazon EC2 Key Pairs.
Starting ISP Config 3
After the selected instance is initiated, follow the steps below to initialize ISP Config 3:
- Step 1: Once the instance is initiated, visit the default login page at https://:8080/login or https://:8080/login. For example, https://184.108.40.206:8080/login.
Note: it is https not http, otherwise you may hit Bad Request error.
- Step 2: If you encounter “Your connection is not private” warning. Click “Advanced” button and then click the link, “proceed to your-ip-address (unsafe)” to bypass.
- Step 3: To get your initial username and password, remote into your AWS instance via SSH. When you are prompted “login as”, execute the following command;
$ centos $ sudo -i $ /usr/local/bin/elyxia_global.sh
And your initial username and password will be randomly generated for you. Please be reminded to change your password after logged into ISPConfig.
Important Note: ISPConfig initialization may take up to 10 minutes, please be patience before you browse to https://:8080/login
If you hit the folowing error, “ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED” ISP Config 3 may still be in the progress of initialization.
Setup & Configuration
After you have successfully initiatied and logged into ISPConfig 3, you may follow https://www.ispconfig.org/documentation/user-manual/ to continue ISPConfig 3 configuration and setup. For general support, please visit https://www.howtoforge.com/community/#ispconfig-3.23